Sunday, February 21, 2010

Easy Peasy Bread Sticks

Guess what? I didn't get very far tidying my studio today. I remembered a recipe that I saw on the Make it Do blog the other day and had to give it a go. I made them for lunch today (a scrummy lunch is all part of a good pottering day as far as I'm concerned!). They are soooo good. You have to try them.



When I took the bread sticks out of the oven, I was so impressed I said "Wow, check out these puppies". Miss 6 was walking passed at the time looked at me with eyebrows raised. A few moments later, when Miss 3 joined her at the table and said "What are those?". Miss 6 proudly answered "They are puppies."

The recipe and instructions for the bread sticks (aka puppies if you are a child in my house) are here.

I've adjusted it slightly for Kiwi users. Recipes always seem to work differently in different countries.

Here's the sightly adjusted version of Calli's recipe. This one makes 18-20 bread sticks (I made mine more like baby baguettes than sticks):

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tsp salt
1 Tbsp red cap yeast
4 cups plain flour
1/2 cup parmasan or tasty cheese, finely grated
1 tsp garlic seasoning (optional, or use seasoning of your choice)
1/4 cup melted butter

Equipment
2 greased baking sheets
measuring jug
measuring spoons
mixing bowl
fork
knife
cheese grater
pastry brush

  • Preheat your oven to 200 degrees (fan forced)
  • Put your water into your measuring jug and add sugar, salt and yeast. Put to one side for 10  mins until it is bubbly.
  • Grate your cheese and put it to one side
  • Put your flour, 3/4 of the cheese and your chosen seasoning into a large bowl and pour in the yeast. Use a fork to mix it together and then use your hands to knead it into a large ball.
  • Tip the dough out onto a floured bench/board and pat it down. Using a knife, cut it into 18 skinny and even portions.
  • Roll each portion of dough between your palms to make a snake. Pop it onto a greased baking sheet. Continue to do the same with all your dough. I got 9 bread sticks on each tray.
  • Melt your butter and using a pastry brush coat the tops of all the bread sticks. Turn them all over and do the other sides. Carefully sprinkle the remaining parmasan over each bread stick.
  • Put them into your oven for 12-15 mins.

We ate ours with homegrown/homemade leek and potato soup (Edmonds cook book) with a dollop of low fat ricotta cheese floating in the middle... yum!!!


1 comment:

Chickie Little said...

Ooh yum!

Hehe, puppies - aren't kids just so adorable.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails