Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Pumpkin and Ginger


No, we haven't got new pets (although they would be GREAT names for two orange kittens).
I'm talking about the real pumpkin and ginger. The stuff that warms you up when you walk out the door and realise that it's minus-brrrrr out there and you really should have put another sweater on this morning. 


I really should have been cleaning out kitchen cupboards today,


but when I opened the cupboards, I discovered exactly the ingredients I needed to make some of Cathie's gorgeous gingerbread biscuits. If you haven't visited her M.E. (Melbourne Epicure) blog yet, you really should. She is the most amazing cook and photographer (and really quite lovely too). Pay her a visit, you won't regret it.

The cleaning had to wait.
How could I not reach for my pinny and start baking?
(I am after all, one of the worlds best procrastinators when it comes to cleaning jobs. Just ask my Mum)


The girls were very pleased to get flower biscuits for afternoon tea.
 I think I'll make these again for E's birthday party.


The oven was nice and hot after the biscuit baking and I had a pumpkin and amazingly, some cream, in the fridge so I decided to have a go at Hanna of  Craftykin's pumpkin pie too. 


Turns out the Mr is really quite fond of pumpkin pie.

One of his favourites apparently. Amazing the stuff you find out after several years of cooking for them isn't it? Needless to say, I've added Hanna's recipe to my own recipe book to repeat again whenever I feel like spoiling him.

And whilst we are on the subject of pumpkins and ginger, I have another recipe for you. This is one of mine and is just what you need for a scrummy, warming, weekend lunch or dinner.

Spicy Pumpkin and Ginger Soup
1 large pumpkin
1 large onion, chopped
olive oil
knob of butter
garlic
2tsp Thai green curry paste
about 4cm ginger, peeled & finely chopped.
1 tsp dried cumin
1tsp dried coriander
chicken or vegetable stock powder (I use Vegeta gourmet stock)
1 cup water
1 tin coconut milk
salt and pepper to taste


  • Chop up the pumpkin into segments and roast in the oven with the skin on for about 20-30mins. Allow to cool then remove the skin from the pumpkin and mash it in a bowl.

  • Put a splash of oil in a large pan and add the butter. Once it has melted, add your onion and fry until translucent. Add the garlic and curry paste and fry for about a minute until fragrant.

  • Add the cooked pumpkin, ginger, cumin, coriander and stock and stir to combine.

  • Bring to a simmer. Cook for about 15 mins.

  • Add the coconut milk and stir to combine. I usually use my whizzer to puree the soup and make it less chunky at this point. You could seive it or pop it in a food processor if you don't have one of those hand held whizzy things (but if you don't have one, you really need one. They are fantastic devices!) 

  • Simmer for a further 3 or 4 minutes and serve.
I'm off to stick another sweater on and see if there is any of that pumpkin pie left.

1 comment:

Cathie said...

we harvested so many pumpkins in the last few weeks & have always wanted to make a pumpkin pie!
glad you liked the gingerbread & they look soo wonderfully iced & decorated.

you are way too kind...thank you Sarah ♥

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails