Thursday, October 28, 2010

My Creative Space - Butterflies and Roses

Thank you to all of you who wished Eloise a speedy recovery from her tummy bug last week. She is a lot better this week (although there's an awful lot of talk about sore tummies when she doesn't want to do something!). Her kindy is having a Halloween dress up day today and being 4 and a girl, there was no way she was going dressed as something scarey. She is pretty obsessed with monarch butterflies at the moment so we came up with this costume last night for her.
 We bought the wings a while ago from our local toy shop. Aren't they beautiful? They are handpainted and definately the most worn thing in her dress up box. The black top is one of Maddy's printed t-shirts turned inside out with the label cut off and we borrowed some of her leggings too.
 The antennae (or Man-ten-aye as Eloise calls them) are made with pipe cleaners with buttons stitched at the ends. I didn't have any black pipe cleaners so I coloured white ones in with a black felt pen. Fold a long pipecleaner over double and twist it together to make it thicker and easier to stitch the buttons on (or just buy thick black pipe cleaners!) I twisted it on to a headband a few times to get it to stay in place and voila, one happy butterfly. She has butterfly face paint on this morning too but given how late we were when I finished it, there was no time for photographs. We had to run like crazy people to catch up with Maddy's walking school bus. Must have been quite a sight. Maddy running ahead with her huge backpack, Eloise dressed in full butterfly gear on her pink scooter and me huffing and puffing behind carrying my shoes, Eloise's shoes, her back pack and my sunglasses. Hmm. Not a pretty site! Must do something about that fitness!

 With the Christmas markets coming ever closer, I've been busy rebuilding my stocks. This week, I'm concentrating on my Tape Measure Rose brooches. The entire dining table has been taken over for brooch production purposes. Thank goodness for warm evenings so we can sit at the table outside to eat our meals!
If you haven't already, you really should pop over to Kirsty's blog and see what she has been up to and then sit back with a coffee and enjoy all the other wonderful Creative Spaces on display there.

ps I've got a giveaway on my Facebook page so pop over and join in if you fancy some Cotton Kiwi goodies.

22 comments:

B @ Sweet Limes said...

I adore those measuring tape brooches. I just noticed your etsy shop (I'm new here) so I think I might have to think about adding one to my Christmas wish list!

Sarah@Dolls And Daydreams said...

oh i just love her outfit!!!!!! She looks too cute, what a great job you did :) hugs to all xxx

dash robin said...

awww. Its been too long since I have popped by here...don't be offended though I have just been ludicrously busy. Your daughters so adorable and I love her costume...hope alls well, xoKate

Screamstress said...

Beautiful little butterfly - well done creating a costume 'on the fly'. (Sorry, that was terrible!) Brooches look fantastic too :)

Makeminemidcentury said...

Love the image of a huffing puffing mother!

If only making butterfly costumes was akin to going to the gym - someone should work out how to make crafting and sewing, burn more calories.

I'm off to huff and puff to school now too.

Jennie said...

Love those wings!
(thats the only photo i can see at the mo!)xx

Chantal said...

Gorgeous butterfly wings and I love her antennae!

teddybearswednesday said...

that would have to be one of the sweetest butterfly's I've seen around. xo

Kylie said...

Love those wings! What a beautiful butterfly she makes :) Those rosettes are just fantastic. K

Wendy said...

She makes an adorable butterfly. And I agree with MMM-C...must find a way to burn more calories while crafting!

Anonymous said...

what a gorgeously sweet butterfly lovely costume

Michelle said...

She is a beautiful butterfly. I bet you made a lot of people smile this morning as you hurried along.

I love your tape measure brooches!

Seaside Siblings said...

You have a very beautiful butterfly there. She looks just gorgeous.

Angel.Pearls said...

These Rose Brooches really are cute and something very special that I've never seen before -well done!! Eva Sweden

Caroline said...

I adore that butterfly outfit! Superb. Costumes for a four year old over at my place too. That time of year isn't it.

Chris said...

Your brooches are just divine, super cool indeed.

Your little butterfly is pretty cute too.

polly pratt said...

I get so many comments on my brooch. Hopefully there will be a market on when i`m back in Auckland next month.

Photography said...

Cutie Pie!! Those brooches are sooo pretty :-)

Snooze said...

butterflies are the perfect little girl's dress up ... and she looks so sweet.
My Creative Space

Anonymous said...

you are so clever - love the butterfly outfit! The brooches are looking great too, some wonderful colours there x Have a great weekend

Knicky Knacks said...

Love those tap measure inspired brooches. What a clever idea. As for that butterfly - too cute!

Carmen said...

Hi Sarah! I love your tape measure roses! I would like your permission to feature them on my blog along with a few other great ideas from other sites. Please contact me at carmensplace@gmail.com to talk. Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails