Thursday, November 11, 2010

My Creative Space - flower tots

If you happen to pop around for coffee today, you may well be asked to strap a piece of elastic around your thigh, garter style and do some knotting. Yes, I know this is a pretty strange request, even for good friends, but I need help.

And before you say anything, not that kind of help (although my other half and many of my family members will tell you otherwise), I need help making tutus.

 Eloise and Maddy are both in a end of term dance concert. I've already made Maddy's class their hip hop costumes (8 silver tops) but Eloise's ballet class still need theirs. They are being flowers and they are going to look adorable. I don't think it's possible for ten 2-4 year olds not to look adorable but if you happen to attend the show, you may have to go for anti-cute therapy afterwards.

 So today, although I really should be getting ready for the two markets I have next week, I'm cutting up tulle into 6 inch lengths and knotting it on to elastic using this tutorial . It's not exactly a very cheap way of making the skirts but it does make them very very gorgeous.
I still need to trim them so they are all the same length and attach the felt leaves using a glue gun but I think you can get the picture. They'll be wearing flower headbands as well and these little wrist bands (made by glueing felt leaves over elastic bands). I'll take a photo of my little flower when she has her complete costume.

For more Creative Spaces, pop over to Kootoyoo.

19 comments:

Strickbombe said...

stunning! i'll knot if you pay for the flight...

maree said...

Oh boy Sarah - I have just finished making Spanish outfits for Jump Jam teams ..... tulle, lycra and satin galore!!!! So know what you are facing:) Good luck and they look fab. Ciao

Cat said...

Well done you - they look gorgeous!

Wendy said...

That's the tut I used to make the girls their tutus! (And now...I hate tulle!) Yours are gorgeous, of course.

Michelle said...

Cute! Sure does get busy at this time of year if there are dancers in the family.

Beck said...

Wow, they are going to look super snazzy!! So cute. Hope we get to see some shots from the show! xo

nz green buttons said...

I've made quite a few tutus from that tutorial, I think it makes great tutus! Can't wait to see her all dressed up!

Kylie said...

I am absolutely speechless! O.M.G... They are just wonderful! I've done my time making dancing costumes so I know what you're going through there with toil and labour! Congratulations :) Kx

Seaside Siblings said...

They are very, very cute!

Jennie said...

I've made a few of these, so appreciate what you're up to. Really love the leaves - and the green is just gorgeous!

Tracey@bountifully said...

how wonderful - my daughter wore something similar when she dressed as a forest fairy for her jungle themed party and few years ago. Love your tutus!

Notchka said...

Oh they are lovely. I think they look great untrimmed. I'll keep an eye out for pics of your little flower.

Caroline said...

Oh these are superb! I also like them untrimmed (and hey, it would save you some time). Your motherly love is coming to the fore here! Can't wait to see your flower dancer.

Glennie said...

I think I like it untrimmed too!

Jo's Place said...

They are looking fabulous. Isn't that the best way to make the tutu's though, so easy

Unknown said...

Very sweet! I'm sure they will steal many parent's hearts in their cosutmes! :)

aimee @ lily pad designs nz said...

just gorgeous! turns out my bookclub friend Justine and her Ella are in your class too...small world :)

Anonymous said...

absolutely gorgeous! Have a great weekend x

CJ {Pink Tea} said...

I would love to see the final product. That looks adorable. You are such a great Mom.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails